Friday, January 26, 2007

CCM=Crappy, Corny Music


I get promos of most new Christian CDs, and yesterday I realized it has been months and months since I got something worthwhile from the "CCM" market. It's all rubbish!
Why?!

I sorta wrote about this once before...but I just can't let it go because I listen to a LOT of music, and part of my job is trying to find stuff to recommend to youth pastors. And right now I've got nothing in my bin. And don't give me Switchfoot. They're a fine band, but everyone knows about them and will buy their stuff anyway.

Where's the interesting music?

I don't read most "popular" Christian writers, because they often talk about the obvious and the safe...and they all sound the same. It's no different with music. I want someone who will challenge me. I don't necessarily agree with them, but if they get me to think, and maybe solidify my own views, then it's well worth it.



So the best album I've listened to in 6 months is Tom Waits' newest, Orphans. He's certainly "interesting," but he's also challenging, original, and not afraid to shine a light into dark places to see what scurries out. He fascinates me, and I'd rather listen to his stuff than 30 CCM albums.

There are some bands who are succeeding...and they're doing it on major labels and in mainstream stores. Thrice's newest album, Vheissu, is full of unashamedly Christian lyrics, wrapped around fantastic music. The song "Like Moths to Flame" is about Peter's denial of Christ, fercryinoutloud!

I don't know where I'm going with this. I'll continue to shop at Target and Best Buy for my music, because that's where the interesting music is to be found. And I suppose as long as it's found, that's what counts.

No comments: