Monday, May 15, 2006

Games and More Games

It was a great Tuesday, in no small part because Daren and Cory made an appearance after a while away.

First we played Kreta. This was one I'd been wanting to try after hearing great things, but alas, it's only available as an import. It's an area-control game, which has been done to death, but this has some cool new twists: There are numerous different pieces, such as the Abbot, villages, and ships, each of which has different powers and influence. There are also cards from which you choose roles, allowing you to move pieces, and even control scoring, which is a very cool mechanic.I really liked it, but I'm not sure I need to go to the trouble to hunt one down. If an American publisher picks this up, though, I'm all over it.

Next up was Saboteur, a new filler I'd picked up. It's good, and lives up to expectations: A 20-minute no-brainer that doesn't overstay its welcome. Plus it's got hidden roles...which I like a lot.

Last was Keythedral. The first time I'd played this I'd liked it, but I wasn't wowed. This time was MUCH more enjoyable, and I count this a major success. My favorite thing is that it's a completely cutthroat game wrapped in a cute little package...I love that!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to play Medina and Verrater for the first time. We'll see.

No comments: